Thursday

Tim Flannery in ESPN The Magazine

In case you didn’t know, I’m a huge sports guy. Been that way from the moment my chubby little feet hit the floor for the very first time. Sports weave their way through every cell in my body and have a profound effect on everything I do.That said, it is understandable we subscribe to ESPN The Magazine at my house. It’s an okay sports magazine. I’m not totally enthralled by The Mag as I was with Sports Illustrated as a younger person, but, like I said, it’s okay.
Well, last week, the 2-18-2013 issue arrived in the mail. It’s dubbed, The Music Issue, and has LeBron James and Dr. Dre on the cover. I see this and I hardly have any desire to read it. Don’t get me wrong, I like music, I like LeBron, and I like Dr. Dre, but where’s my sports going to fit in all this? The magazine sits for over a week, untouched.
Finally, I get so bored I pick up the magazine and flip through it. It is pretty much as expected; a lot of athletes playlists, an interesting story about Dr. Dre’s invention and marketing of Beats headphone, but that is about it.
Then on page 86 (of 92) magic happens; a story by Tim Keown about San Francisco Giants assistant baseball coach and accomplished musician/songwriter, Tim Flannery. Magnificent story about a very talented, loving, and caring individual.
Here are a story, a quote, and a song lyric from Coach Flannery which resonate with me as an athlete and a creative person. If you get a chance to read the entire article, please do. I highly recommend it.

Story
“My father (who had Alzheimer’s) died with a straightjacket on. It was violent at the end, but it was one of the great miracles of my life, being part of it. I got to walk with him and change his diaper, and when you do that, you start to thing of the circle of life and how they did it for us. I handed him a piece of Kentucky coal and he put it to his mouth and tasted it. His eyes lit up and he started to tell stories of his childhood - stories I’d never heard before.”

Quote
“When I started writing my own music, I realized it isn’t for everyone. People listen to music and try to write that song. At that point, you’re not an artist, you’re an act. When you’re an artist, it’s: ‘Here it is. Hope you like it. Don’t care if you don’t.’”

Lyric
(from his song, RIGHT OR WRONG)
“There’s just one thing for certain
I promise you will see
It’s never too late to be the person
you were meant to be”

Thank you, Tim Flannery, for all you do to inspire and create good things in our world.


No comments:

Post a Comment