Tuesday

Is it just a load of empty noise?


There are many types of meditation and today I'm going to talk briefly about Mantras.

What is a mantra? To answer this I'm taking a snippet from my book, Meditative Serenity.

Mantras
Mantra incorporates the use of sound. A single word constantly repeated during the meditation, or a sentence of possibly meaningless words which raise the vibrations and create a comforting sense of wrap-around embrace. Mantra meditation can be integrated with dancing and is a very emotional experience. Mantra can be said out loud or silently, slowly reducing to a whispering murmur as the meditator becomes more relaxed. The deeper you go into a mantra, the quieter it becomes until you fall into a space of emptiness and complete stillness. For some people the idea of meditating on a single sound is utterly boring, while for others it creates a colourful experience and profound depths of mood.

When can you use the mantra methd of meditating? Pretty much anytime you like - other, of course than while driving or using machinery or sharp implements.

What do you use it for? Well, again, pretty much anything, but I have found using a single word that represents something that is bugging me often releases the rpoblem and allows my mind to free up and work at a subiminal level so that by the time I finish meditating, while I may not yet have a resolution, I feel more relaxed and therefore more open to let my subconscious provide an answer when it feels the time is right.

It may seem strange to sit and simply chant a single word or phrase, but like all kinds of meditation, this just may be the formula that works for you. If it isn't, then hey, you can chalk it down to experience and cross it off your list of experimental meditation methods. :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment